Thursday, November 30, 2006

Hotel Adventures

Well, when we finally pulled into Spokane, it was snowy and frickin windy cold.
We managed to struggle our way to the baggage claim, and waited impatiently with both kids while our baggage came out one by one. Loaded up the cart, and momentarily contemplated getting two carts, and decided against it. We carted ourselves over to the phone area, and dialed 2 for our hotel, and requested a shuttle. Ten minutes later they pulled up with a big ass Van. I had mentioned on the phone that they needed to make sure it was big as we had lots of baggage.
We pulled up to the hotel (had a Cali driver) and en route were discussing places to eat and our driver mentioned that they could shuttle us to one of two restauraunts if we asked them to. So, we got unpacked, and refreshed, and hopped back in the van the a nice restaraunt that only had one waiter to serve the entire place...apparently they were short staffed. Needless to say it took over an hour to get our food...and by then I couldn't eat cause H had started crying, and when I nursed, I discovered just how exhausted I was. I just ordered a doggie bag, and hopped back on the shuttle, and immediately crashed when we got back to our room. I slept for two hours before I woke up (Chance and D went tot he pool, and when they came back I still didn't hear them), and still felt a little groggy, but considerably better. Went and heated up my food and two bites into it the power went out.
I got tackled by a D and had to put my food to the side. When it didn't come back on, and after Chance peeked out the windows to check if anything else was out, he discovered that other parts of the Hotel were fine and powered, but we weren't. So, I sent him down to the front desk to ask what was going on. Half hour later he popped back in and said there was a power outage, and for some reason some ppl didn't get anything back when it came back on.
So, out hotel lost power, so did the Denny's accross the parking lot, and the Flying J's (gas station) next door. And with all of them losing power, we had suremely shitty service from all of them. So, we were on the third floor, and the stairwell closest to us was closed for reno's, the elevator was out, which caused us to have to cross the entire hotel to get to the only servicable set of stairs to reach the ground floor. Can we say fire hazard? We ended up buying candles from the lobby ($10 for a set of 5), and thankfully we had a crank flashlight (which I broke 30 minutes into the outage cause I dropped it on the tile bathroom floor) otherwise we'd have been S.O.L. for light.
Two hours later the power finally came back on in our room. I sent Chance over to Denny's for dinner seeing as I didn't trust our leftovers that were in the fridge. He came back with news that they weren't fully back on either, and therefore couldn't deep-fry anything, which basically left salads, and sandwhiches. I got an exceptional Turkey BLT that was quite yummy though.
So, I ate, and then crashed out again...and I don't even think it was past 9:30. D had crashed not long after having a couple of bites to eat, by about 8:30. I woke up the next morning at 5:30, and we all managed to be wide awake...I guess we were still operating on Ohio time.
So, we lounged in bed and watched tv, then I took a shower, and got dressed and we headed down to the lobby for their breakfast buffet.
I was real impressed by their buffet cause it was completely do-it-yourself, but very expansive. They had bagels, muffins, fresh fruit, and cereal machines where you just turned a handle (much like a .25 candy machine) and cereal was dispensed, a tortilla station, a toasting station, and two waffle irons with batter nearby. Nevermind the coffee, applesauce, tea, milk, water, and orange juise to drink.
I was stuffed.
We re-packed all the bags (I forgot where I put the car keys and tore everything apart) and got them back on the baggage cart they provided, and packed up the truck, and were on the road by 9am. It was fricken cold, and the kids conked out fairly soon after hopping on the road.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about the power outage, but glad to hear you were able to rest and enjoy a good breakfast!