Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

So, our family tradition is to open gifts on Christmas Eve Night, just after midnight, so it's technically December 25th.
The boys had a fantastic time opening gifts, and getting wonderful surprise after wonderful surprise that they got what they really wanted. It's quiet now, for the first time tonight, as they're busy playing with their new toys and exploring everything they got. I got what feels like a billion and 1 pictures, but I know it won't be enough. We'll sleep in tomorrow, and see what else Santa brought us (as a few members forbade us to open until Christmas morning, and we saved some "from Santa" to not spoil the feeling, as D was getting suspicious that there was no Santa).
We had a feast tonight. I starved myself today. H & I woke up at noon (D had a sleepover at the MIL's) and we got busy. Our house had been a disaster zone from the power outage, and our trip up north. Dishes were all dirty (I mean none left to use), food was everywhere, fabric scraps everywhere (I was in such a rush I just cut & dropped), the table was buried under a mound of junk, no counter-space to speak of, and the laundry was covering nearly every ounce of floorspace.
I got home, the night before and it was bearable, so I got to work. The work was so heavy that it carried over to today. I finished most of it b4 everyone came over. I didn't eat at all until dinner (around 6:30) and was starving.
Candied Yams, Green Bean Casserole, Honeybaked Ham, Squash, Mashed Potatoes, and Gravy. That was just dinner. Afterwards I busted out the billions of desserts. MIL had a cookie exchange at work and brought all the goodies she traded for here. She also made jelly rolls, and yummy butter cookies. I made a Blackberry Pie, and a Pumpkin Pie (first time ever, I had no idea it started out as a liquid!). I have gingerbread mix in the fridge as I didn't have time to make them, along with a yummy dinner rolls mix ready to go.
We waited until that food settled, then we busted out the Snacks, which I made up the night before. A giant veggie plater with red/orange/green peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, and baby carrots. A meat tray with ham, turkey, garlic bologna, and turkey bologna. A cheese tray with Co-Jack, and Mild Cheddar, as well as a small pickle platter and various crackers. Let's not forget the Chips, about 6 kinds, and I forgot to bust out two of them...meh, oh well.
We feasted, let it settle, then ate some more, and so on, until midnight.
What fun, mom called and we chatted with her a bit. I'll hafta remind myself to get a video of H saying Merry Christmas to post tomorrow morning.
I was so tired earlier cause we stayed up until 4:30 cleaning and preparing for today, and about an hour of that was spent putting H's new Thomas Tricycle together. Wow, was that ever a big hit! He had the biggest grin on his face when he climbed on it. Tomorrow we will refresh their memories as to what they got, and I'm sure they'll be in a much better mood, not being so tired.
In any event, I hope your day is as great as ours has been so far.
Need to go to bed so we can wake up sooner, LOL.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Billy Rhythm said...

Sounds like quite a party! I'm glad your Christmas was so merry.