BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Home Made Game Boards

So, I spent a fair amount of time this past weekend worrying about how to help keep my children entertained while driving across the country.
We do have Netbooks with modified movies on them, and plenty of them to boot. Asides from that, I don't want my kids' brains completely melted, ya know?
I was all geared up, thinking about how we'll be separating them for the majority of the time, and when I mentioned it in passing to Mr, he informs me that the truck we're renting is only seated for two, not the three he had originally told me of.
Fuck.
Though I was worrying about how the other child would be cared for (no offense intended), but now I'm going to get stuck with both of them in the same car as me, and whomever is driving...Great. So, it was back to the drawing boards.
Anyhow, I found this site, that was ever so helpful with ideas I had actually never considered before this trip. Was nice to know there was someone out there who could be more prepared than I, and actually help the rest of us schmucks out.
So, I worked myself out, and put a couple of bins together for the boys, one each. They have some of the same projects, and some more tailored to their age. I also decided to try my hand at the suggested Game Bag.
I started by deciding which games I wanted to make, and them deciding how big I wanted them to be. From there I began working on the small items (game pieces, cards etc) before putting together the game boards themselves, and today I finished it all off by making the bag they go in. The boards are of plain white cotton, and instead of taking extra time to stitch the game designs on, I opted to draw them on with fabric marker. The game pieces are four different colors of felt (the only colors I had left over after our moving purge), and all of the game boards are backed with a heavy weight interfacing to make them stiff and felt so they stay in one place. I finished them off by stitching bindings to them. The Tic Tac Toe Board is actually stitched righ on to the bag that holds them all. Once everything was done, I had 9 games in the bag, and the instructions for all nine in a ziplock inside the bag. Yay, it turned out so fashionable.
Checkers, Connect Four, Cribbage, Snakes & Ladders (that was one my mom sent us, a simple plastic mat), tic tac toe, Sorry & Yahtzee...plus a deck of cards for Old Maid, Crazy 8's, and Go Fish. I like it...it turned out funky. I only hope we play with it as much to make the work worth it.

6 thoughtful remarks:

Autumn said...

it's always good to be prepared on a long trip. you rock! happy canada day sweetie.

Ama said...

you can get a break by riding in the truck...just call it when we stop for a break!

LarryG said...

hey good move!

My expressions LIVE said...

What kind of game board can you come up with for the two of us...lol...xoxoox

Ragtop Day said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Not only with your creativity, but that you had the TIME to take on such a project on the cusp of a move! Brava!

Nietha said...

awesome job on making those