BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pepsi & Insomnia

Hmmm, with a title like that it's no wonder I didn't get any sleep!
LOL
Ok, so a few of you want to know how Pepsi changed my life.
As far back as I can recall, I've been a Pepsi girl. Now I can't be certain when my first taste of the stuff was, or even when I started drinking pop, but I know that Pepsi has been a constant in my life. I've gone through all the Pepsi phases. I can recall buying Pepsi in glass bottles, Crystal Pepsi, Pepsi Vanilla, Pepsi Twist, Pepsi Free/Caffeine Free Pepsi, and Pepsi Slushies.
I remember walking to the store in Little Fort many times during a day to kill summer-time to get myself a cold Pepsi and bring it back to the river to swim or fish, or roast marshmallows over the fire.
I drank Pepsi from a glass bottle, with a small paper bag full of penny & nickle candies, and a Nintendo controller in my hand.
I remember walking across the street to the store to buy a Pepsi Slushy to keep cool because we had no air conditioning.
I recall drinking Pepsi with most of my alcohol when I first started drinking because it was always readily available.
I recall drinking Pepsi through my first trip across the country with my first husband, and the boost it gave me to drive for the last three states straight because I hated driving on Interstates. I can remember walking to the local store (about 2 miles away) almost every night while my first husband worked with the girl he would later leave me for.
I can remember buying nothing but Pepsi while I went through a post-dissolution mayhem of things I don't care to remember.
I can recall drinking Caffeine Free Pepsi after having my first son, just for a taste of Pepsi, ANY taste.
I'm now back to drinking regular Pepsi, and craving a Pepsi Slushy, now that I've mentioned it.
Pepsi has been a constant in my life, for as long as I can remember, it's been there. No matter where I am, I can buy a bottle (my preference over can) of Pepsi and think about home, remember the good parts of my childhood (which are pretty hard to come by in my memory), and think about the times in my life where I wanted to feel close to home. When I drink Pepsi, I can clearly remember the faces of those other family members who drink it with me, my Grandpa, My Aunt, My Uncle, my Step-Dad, even my Grandma when she's up to it. Pepsi is clearly associated with positive feelings both towards my childhood, and my family members who have my favor. It's changed my life because it's ALWAYS been there for me, and I honestly cannot see my life without it in the future.

Now, onto my night. We bought the boys a bunk bed for their Boxing Day gift (I know, you're really not supposed to give gifts on Boxing Day), and my Mr got it all put together. My MIL bought a second mattress to put on the bottom for H cause D had his on top, of course. I made the beds up, and tossed them in. Up until now, we've had a family bed, with H sleeping in between us on our Queen size bed. Now, last night I began trying to train him to sleep in his bed on the bottom bunk. He woke up about 4 times before I just let him sleep in my bed with me...but during that entire time (from about midnight until 6:30am) I couldn't sleep AT ALL. I was suffering from baby-cuddle withdrawals. I no longer had a little heater next to me, I now longer had someone kicking and prodding me in the middle of the night, and i certainly had no pesky nurse mommy requests. I could hear crickets...or rather, the high winds from the severe weather we were having outside. The wind howled all night, and each time I dozed off, something different woke me up. About 5 am, the power switched off and I heard a loud crack/pop right in front of our house. About 8am my poor Mr (who was just as restless as I) got ready for work, and phoned his mom at my request to come help with the kids. The kids slept in relatively late, and I caught about 4 hours of sleep, enough to get me in gear for the day and not feel so groggy.
I went shopping last night at a Pat Catan's and got a few really great deals, so now that I've rested a bit, I'm gonna head back to see if there are any left for me to pick up.
So, now oyu know my Pepsi story...happy?

7 thoughtful remarks:

Nietha said...

I can't imagine life without Pepsi

Hepburn Hilton said...

I am a pepsi girl to. Or a pepsi light girl.. I used drink coke, but it not being figure-friendly I swtiched a few years back.

I hope you have a better night sleep this night!

cheatymoon said...

I hope you get a good night's sleep soon!
Isn't it funny how everyday things follow us through life? :-)

Aimie said...

I hear you about the munchkins sleeping with you. As silly as it sounds, I sleep better with my little one right there kicking me and asking to nurse as well. I hope the insomnia gets better. I know that sleep makes this mommy much happier. :)

Hepburn Hilton said...

I have an award for you on my site... here :)

Amarie said...

That's scary. I thought I was the only one. I can drink pepsi with one eye open at the crack of dawn. When hubby calls to ask if I need him to stop and pick anything up, I'll always say, "Yeah, pick up some milk...and don't forget the pepsi. Wow!

Billy Rhythm said...

Coke in a bottle reminds me of the good times I had as a kid, walking to the neighborhood store, and pulling one out of the old floor mount cooler. "Tab" in a can reminds me of my Aunt Grace. She also drank Pepsi Light, which was Diet Pepsi and lemon. I liked that stuff. When Pepsi Twist came out, it was a throw back to those old days. Even now, sometimes, when I'm playing a gig, and need fluid without calories, I'll order a diet Pepsi with a lemon in it.