BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Calling All Parents

I'm frustrated.
I'm all over the place.
Mr brought D home from school today, and pulled me aside to discuss the goings on with D's day.
We've had trouble with the school since we first began. Back in the beginning of December, we finally had a meeting with both the teach and the principal. When we got there I was already frustrated because I had requested a meeting a number of times through parent/teacher/communication notes, and received no response. They thought I kind of blew it out of proportion. I felt I was being ignored, and had no other way to communicate because of my work schedule.
Unfortunately, when we did go to that meeting, no strategies for action were discussed other than having us enroll him in counseling, and role playing how he would approach other kids for play.
Mr went to pick up D on Tuesday, and found his desk had been moved (again, literally lost count of how many times he's been moved around the classroom) right next to the teachers desk.
My first thought when he told me this, was "My child has been a disruption to your class, and all you can think of is placing him right next to you...really?!"
It's time for me to advocate for my child, in a clear, honest, and direct manner.
I am unsatisfied with my son's school, and their abilities to handle and cope with my child. I am unsatisfied with any courses of action they've taken because they've done jack squat to help him, and could've possibly hindered him even more.
I'm pissed off. I'm frustrated. I'm nearly ready to move him to another school. If one of our other choices were available, I would.
So, to all of you other parents who read here, and even those who don't...please, come and tell me how you've advocated for your child, and tell me what has worked best for you??

5 thoughtful remarks:

Autumn said...

my young one is VERY active. he's 6 now, and while he hasn't been a negative disruption in class, he does get excited very easily. when he was 4 my ex hus called and said we should have him tested for ADHD. gosh, he was only 4. i really thought (and still think) that he is attentive when he must be, but is easily distracted. at home he is prone to fits (i've found effective methods in dealing with this) and can be a real handful. i'm always disappointed at the lack of support. everyone wants to just calm them the hell down. i believe that active children generally have very quick minds. weren't there over active kids in your classes growing up, cause i know there were in mine, ya know? in our schools they have teacher's aids to help any children who need an extra hand or a little more attention. it seems to work for the most part. i believe there are serious cases where children need meds or whatever, but most of our children really just need for someone to understand them and hear them. not to be coddled either, but to be taught. whew...i could just go on and on. i'm a mama bear. he's my baby and while i know he can do wrong, i will do everything in my power to allow him his own personality.

my child does well in lessons thus far. i've not had these issues so i don't really know how to offer a solution, but i agree that it would be much better if your child just had someone to help him learn in class more effectively. it will help him focus better if he better comprehends the work. i'm sure you've done some research into your options at this point. i really hope you are able to find the right place for D.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl. Please mail/messenger me. Or just check your mail. I have a plan but I need to talk with you about it before hand.

1southern.sage@gmail.com I have all the messengers and that would be easier but mail will work if you will reply.

The Covert Lover said...

FOr the specific situation I haven't had experience - but I have been ignored and blown off by teachers/principals/etc.
What seems to work quickly - and every time - is to send one mass email.
Look up (usually can be found online) every single school board member's email address, the super intendant, assistant super intendant, principals, vice principals - and type a letter to the teacher/faculty member you are having problems with and CC every single other person you can find.
The last time I did that, I had 7 replies within 2 hours, and 3 phone calls countless replies by the end of the day - and problem solved the following day.

Hang in there and good luck!

Debbie said...

my biggest thing about advocating is to make a lot of noise. Call daily. Call hourly if you have to. If you don't like what one person is doing, get others involved. Go above them if you need to. Send it in writing. If it's in writing they can't push it aside. I've spent my life advocating for my son, and I expect to spend many more years doing the same. Feel free to email me anytime.

cheatymoon said...

Hey Amber - I think you know that I specialize with students who have behavior disorders, so I teach in a specialized setting. I can probably help you brainstorm good ideas to share w/ your son's teacher.

I also have a child who has special needs, so I have sat on both sides of the table.
If you'd like, I can help you through email. There are a lot of things to try...

My first thought is that it is not necessarily a bad thing to have your son's desk next to the teacher. We do that with one of my students, and it works like a charm.

Anyway - feel free to email. I am sort of an expert in advocating. I find myself fighting battles on my son's behalf often.
Ack. - hang in.