BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, October 01, 2011

Halloween Mason Jar Luminary

I was surfing the net last month to look for some new Halloween decorating ideas, and came across a project I thought would be great to try. I hit the local thrift shops and got my hands on some Mason Jars, pulled out my collection of tissue paper, my Mod Podge & paint brushes, and black acrylic paint.
I'm happy to report, that in our new house, I have my very own crafting room, complete with table, desk & shelf space for my machines, crafting supplies & fabrics. Heaven...now, if I could only get some better lighting...
Anyhow, once I got started, the kids decided to join in. I painted thin layers of Mod Podge on the outside of the jars, and layed strips of tissue over them and smoothed them out with the paint brush handle.
It went fairly smoothly from there. I should also warn that Mod Podge doesn't smell all that great...at least, mine doesn't. I got the kids rushed through theirs, and set them aside to dry before I shooed them out of the room.
I wound up with 14 jars total, and had only spent about $5 on them, because I had the rest of the supplies on hand.
Anyhow, once they all dried, I painted faces on them with the black acrylic paint, instead of gluing paper cut-outs on. It was a relatively simple project and allowed me to watch movies during the painting. I like the way they turned out, and will be putting candles in them to line my walkway come Halloween Eve. SO excited.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Osbasso said...

Far craftier than I could ever be! Love that the boys wanted to join in!