BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Basket



And now for a break from the dreary.
I've been trying my hardest (sometimes I have a shift at work) to make it to Okanagan Language Class each Monday eve.
I started taking these classes years ago, and always seem to taper off for one reason or another. I now remember some words, but have no idea how to make a conversation out of it.
This years classes have been such a blast to attend, that I'm really disappointed when I can't join in. I went lastnight, with my mom and H. They served two different kinds of stew, Salmon, and Elk/Deer Stew. Oh so yummy. After we finished eating, worked on some words, we moved on to learn some traditional techniques in Basket Weaving. Oh what fun I had!! I've always wanted to learn how to make baskets, and I excelled at it! We chatted with each other, teased each other, chuckled & giggled at our abilities (or lack, thereof), and just relaxed while enjoying the company.
I'm really working hard to make sure we stay a part of the community here, and make a name for ourselves that brings to mind respect.
Anyways, as I was weaving I was dreaming of the possibilities this newfound hobby could make. From survival gear, to harvesting aides, to fancy gift baskets for family and friends. *sigh* I wonder if I'll actually give it a go?

6 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me!

Jack said...

Looks like a great way to relax... sort of like knitting. I can't wait to see your creative side come out with this new craft :)

Andhari said...

How crafty of you :) real good. And with christmas and holiday season approaching, you can make a lot of pretty homemade things for gifts too :)

Osbasso said...

So glad about your desire to be a part of the community. And LOVE that you're taking the language classes!

Nietha said...

hee hee, looks cute

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

I've made one tiny necklace basket similar to that and I used waxed linen. I weave most of my baskets in reed though. I have some free patterns on my blog if you want to give basket weaving a try! Your little basket turned out great!
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com