BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Immigration, Training, and Plain Old Stubborn

WTF is up with my blog getting spammed to death? Seriously. Fuck off spammers.
I'd really hate having to do comment moderation.
In the middle of cramming my homework into one night.
Today felt rather crazy, as there was always more than one thing going on in my mind that needed to be taken care of.
When I arrived at work today, my supervisor offered to have me go to Penticton for training (a 45 minute drive south of Kelowna, where I just moved from last week!) related to my job. It's a 3 day workshop that provides the framework of how to use the curriculum that I'll be working with. When she told me what it was, I didn't hesitate to say yes, but then had to do a bit of phoning around to figure out the logistics. It'll require me to be away from the kids for four days...again. I'll leave Tuesday afternoon on a Greyhound, and come back on Saturday by bus again. All fine and dandy, I just don't like being away from them for so long when we're in the middle of such a huge transition. Hopefully it'll all work out for the best though.
With this training I'm really hoping the whole "getting dropped into the deep end of the pool and being told to just swim" feeling will go away some. Hopefully...
I'm really starting to enjoy my job. I love being surrounded by pregnant ladies and little babies. They have a steady joke going that anyone who's in my job position has traditionally gotten pregnant, causing a really high turnover rate of about one or two new Home Visitors per year. I also love knowing that I'm here to help. I'm here for that extra bit of support for those who need it. I'm looking forward to working with this company a whole lot more. I've only counted 5 men in the entire agency, and have really only encountered 2 on a regular basis. Am trying very hard to stay on my toes, and keep up with the pace that is set, and cover all of my bases at once. I'm glad they don't expect me to, so I'm not falling short if I do, but it's nice to maintain standards for myself. I really enjoy the people that I work with as well.
Anyhow, I'm @ Gramma's for the weekend. Need to spend the time with the computer to finish this weeks course work for school. Looking forward to April when I finish this course up, and attain my ECE Assistant Liscence. By that time they'll hire me on @ their daycae, which I've already provided my criminal record check for.
Got a phone call from Immigration Canada again today, as we had to fax them that we don't have any proof of Mr's last date of entry that would be anyplace near the date he put on his application. They require something concrete, but as we're generally not receipt keepers, don't have credit cards or a bank in Washington State, we are very hard pressed right now to find something that could be suitable enought o fit her criteria. Hopefully what we do have will do, but we will find out tomorrow when she calls me back. If so, Mr could have his work permit by the end of next week, and we could be well on our way to becoming a two income family. Something we've only ever dared to dream about. The last time he had his work permit I was pregnant, and had to stop working. This time it's different. I could work full time, he could work full time, and we may actually be able to start saving and putting away for a future...and that's huge.
Someone once asked me if I ever bothered to drem above myself. I do, but when I know it's not going to happen for a long time, or without extreme hardship,I don't waste my effort. I'd much rather go witht he safe bet. Being able to dream about building up a savings for further education, or our own home, or even a small credit card so I can order my lotions and creams from online, or renew my Flickr account...that's a huge step for us. Having the ability to take a step away from those who have been supporting us for so long, that's something I dare not hold my breath for, and never have...because it's such a fragile dream that if it were to ever break, I'm not certain I would be able to last in this marriage.
So, everyone cross your fingers and hope that what little paperwork we have to fax the kind lady at Immigration who's handling our case, is going to accept whatever we can give her, as prrof of Mr's last entry, and gives him his work visa. Once that hurdle is cleared, then it's on to the next ones of getting D his permanent residency, and re-filing for Mr's Work permit by no later than August (to be on the safe side).
Cramming all of my school-work into one night feels sort of rushed, but in all, I'm rather ok with it. It's quiet now, as everyone is asleep, and I'm ok with that. Been rather annoyed that I still haven't received marks on my last quiz or assignment. Hoping that after I'm done this week's work that it'll come through so I can get an idea of my grade so far. With all of the extra stuff going on, I know i lost that A- status and will probably have slipped to a B, which i'm disappointed about...but at least I didn't just say I can't do this anymore, and quit it. I signed up for the damned thing, and accidentally or not, I'm gonna finish it just to say that I can no matter what comes at me.
I guess I'm stubborn like that.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Hepburn Hilton said...

Listen, your dream WILL come through. No dream is worth it in the end, if you didn't work hard for it. You are putting in the work now, and you will get your reward later.